"I want to explore a domain for insight and turn it into new products or services"
It usually starts with an idea, and sometimes not even that. Often it starts with a problem. Innovation, by definition, represents radical change. Optimising or re-making existing experiences are not typically innovations because they inherit existing assumptions about how things work. Conversely, just asking people what they want, isn't enough. At best it gives little insight. At worse, it can lead to misguided or biased decisions about new or existing product or service ideas.
Innovation is about a two fold source of inspiration. Firstly, a better understanding of the problems, patterns, insights and true drivers of behaviour before exploring solutions. Secondly, exploring unexpected outcomes delivered by fundamentally new capabilities or ways of being.
Innovation without either the confident foundation of insight or room to explore new capabilities can be a distracting, expensive and futile exercise. The risks of innovation do not in any way detract from it's long-term opportunities. Instead, it reinforces the need to do it right.
We can support end-to-end short sprints of exploratory innovation as well as long-term embedded innovation projects.
Sometimes you need to rethink everything. New markets, new business models, new outcomes. Ideas to change the world, ideas to create or reach new worlds. Disruption lives in a space even beyond even the innovation of new ideas. Where innovation may be constrained by a needed or hoped for outcome, disruption Combining things in new and novel ways, seeing patterns from the past that have new relevance, understanding something in nature that helps us see our built environment differently, creating a radically different imagined future that tells us something about today. Disruption can be risky and prone to necessary failure. Failure can teach the most important lessons. Disruption can be as much about the cognitive, emotional and cultural journey as it is the practical one. We can help you explore disruption, both through short but impactful disruptive sprints through to programs of work that reinvent your entire business.
- Insight and ideation workshops to explore the implicit needs that drive users
- Omni-channel journey modelling to explore many possible futures
- Prioritisation of minimum love-able releases to validate business models, concepts or approaches
- Multi-domain trend exploration to understand the potential in a variety of domains
- Theories of behaviour to understand how and why people act as they do
- Role play and Storytelling to brainstorm alternate worlds
- Experiments to understand the relationship between users and new capabilities
- Deep User research to empathise and explain their motivations, constraints and needs
- Rich Personas and other visual explanatory assets to understand the people that may be experiencing the future solution
- Risk and Opportunity management
- Competitive reviews of systems from similar or different domain areas
- Immersive engagement with potential users in the wild
- Ideation of past, present and future experiences
- Forecasting and Trend analysis of a market, social behavior, technology or domain
- Ideation of new concepts, solutions, systems or ways of being